Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Go with the flow

Near gale force winds and high mountain top walks don’t usually go hand in hand but I was so determined to get my kids off their computer games that I was going to mobilise them into the world of fresh air and physical exercise whatever the conditions.
Warm, sunny weather was definitely not on the day’s menu so we were suitably dressed, ‘triple glazed’ in our most resilient winter clothing. We pulled into the car park at the base of the mountain and felt the parked car being shaken by the aggressive wind as it whistled over the bodywork. I looked over my seat to see the look of disbelief on my kid’s faces – they didn’t protest in words, but I knew they were thinking that their dad had lost the plot.
‘Come on kids – time to get out!’ I said with an unreal sense of enthusiasm. ‘Let’s get some fresh air!’ As we tried to gently open the car doors, the wind decided that a more dramatic approach would be appropriate and swung them open at high speed. The fresh air I had been commending rushed through the car and proceeded to taunt us all with ferocious slaps in the face. ‘Make sure you do up your coats kids’, I advised as we battled our way out of the sieged vehicle.
We began to make our way up the steep footpath but this felt more like a ‘push’ than a walk. Each step encountered an invisible resistance which required us to contribute much more energy than we had come to expect from this incline. We pressed on past the fallen branches and the upturned wooden benches, regularly waving off the onslaught of kamikaze leaves that were attacking our faces like iron filings being drawn to a magnet. Our strength was being tested and our muscles were being exercised more than was normally necessary.
Conversation was limited out of fear of what may enter on opening our mouths but we pressed on. I was determined to get to the top and my kids knew that it would be folly to try and dissuade me. Our winter coats were beginning to behave like kites and it was possible to feel the lift as we ascended to the most exposed area of the summit. This was hard work and I was beginning to wonder if I should have made my youngest carry an anchor just to make sure he stayed on the ground.
One of the images used for the Holy Spirit in the scriptures is that of wind and the writer of the gospel of John reminds us that ‘The wind blows wherever it pleases’. God, who cannot work in any other parameters than those of love, justice, truth, mercy and faithfulness, chooses which way he decides to go – where He decides to go and what He decides to do are completely His choice. It is all too easy for us to set the course of direction that we believe the Spirit should ‘blow’ and ask for Him to follow but this is not our prerogative. He chooses and if we go against His choice of direction then resistance will make our life difficult. It’s not that God is resisting us, but more that we are resisting Him. It is our call to discern which way the wind of the Holy Spirit is blowing in order to follow. If He changes course so should we.
Before I reached the summit of the mountain I came to the conclusion that resistance was futile and out of fear of seeing my kids fly off into the distant horizon we turned around and went with the wind. What a joy it was to experience the wind accelerating our journey and aiding our steps.
Do you know which way the wind of the Holy Spirit is blowing in your life, family, church or ministry? If not take time out to discern and discover, and then go with the flow – it will make all the difference in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment