Friday, April 8, 2011

Confidence in what?

Italy is not a million miles from England but I was unable to get a direct flight from Birmingham airport to the needed destination in Pisa, resulting in a need to take a connecting flight in Paris. On checking in I was issued with my boarding passes for both flights and assured that my baggage would automatically be transferred from one plane to another.
The first flight went very well - on time, turbulence free and pretty roomy for such a bargain price. The pilot landed with great skill and the runway tarmac held the full weight of the plane creating an unspoken sense of relief in the cabin. Bonjour France!
Checking I still had my passport and boarding cards I disembarked and made my way to the terminal building where my connecting flight was due to leave. I had plenty of time but was keen to get to the correct departure gate as soon as I could. I passed through the necessary security checks and took my seat in the departure lounge.
I had 30 minutes until the gate was due to open and kept myself entertained with the continued reading of a good book. Airports are often announcing things over the speaker system but only on rare occasions does it ever seem relevant. The many screens hanging from the ceiling and walls give the most critical information regarding flight times and departure gates and so the voice sounded without much attention from me. I noticed that the same message was being repeated and the voice sounded increasingly anxious with each reiteration. I lifted my gaze from the book and listened carefully.
‘Could Mr Mark Pug please report to the departure desk?’ After a split second of bemusement at someone having a similar name to my own, I quickly considered that I should enquire to see if it was actually me they were trying to contact. Indeed it was! The poor exasperated lady behind the desk looked half relieved to see me and half annoyed that I had taken so long to respond. In broken English, she began to explain that there were less seats available on the plane than people who had bought a ticket – the result being that I would be unable to get on this flight. The apparent ‘good news’ was that another flight would be leaving in the morning on which they had reserved a seat for me.
In some circumstances a complimentary night in a good hotel in Paris with some financial compensation for the inconvenience may be an acceptable offer but I was due to preach just two hours after my booked flight landed in Pisa and I simply had to be there. I smiled and for a moment considered carefully about whether I should try and communicate with the little French I learned in High School but realised that saying ‘My name is Mark. I am Eleven years old’ was not the most relevant piece of communication in this circumstance and so stuck to what I know.
‘I have to get on this flight’ I protested. ‘We’re very sorry sir but there are no seats available’ came the reply. I retorted ‘You don’t understand, I need to be on that flight and my boarding card complete with seat number is evidence of my right to do so!’ She explained further that they acknowledged it was their mistake and that they were very sorry for the inconvenience. I thanked her for her apology but said that she needed to find a way of getting me onto that plane – they had to fix their mistake. I continued to hold firmly onto the boarding card.
There would have been a time when I wouldn’t have been so persistent – a lack of confidence would have eaten away at my position and caused me to just accept the situation but my insistence was confident because I knew that in my hand I held the ‘rights’ to be on that flight. Amazingly they found a way to make it happen and I got on the flight, arriving at the church in good time to preach. I know it wouldn’t have happened had I not stood my ground with confidence.
Confidence is an important part of our Christian journey and it comes from knowing who God is and what He has promised. When our enemy sows doubt into our minds, Gods truth gives confidence. It doesn’t come from a strong personality but from a revelation of God. Hold the promises of God in your hand and be confident as you walk into their reality. Be confident in His work of Salvation, His ongoing work of sanctification and His promises to guide your steps. His work on the cross has made it possible for our entry into His presence - nothing more, nothing less. Stand firm, stand your ground and be confident in God!

No comments:

Post a Comment